Saturday, October 31, 2009

Howl'o'ween

Killer clown

This year the troops were divided up for Halloween. Mom went knocking door to door with Emma and her friend, while Sara went out with her friends ending the night with a sleep-over. This left me at home handing out the goodies and much like every other year we hit the 80 kid mark shortly after 8pm. After 8 it's just the teenagers - half of which can't even be bothered to dress up.

Halloween over the years: 2006, 2007, 2008.

"Just Dead" couple Killa Clown Posse
Evil baby Raggedy Anne Zombie
Stormtrooper and fam. Our pumpkin carvings Pumpkin eating kid's leg

Looking back I still remember my first outing with Sara when she was about 3 or 4. She had her little pumpkin bucket and her Buzz Lightyear costume and we slowly walked door to door collecting treats from the known neighbors. With bags of chips, chocolate bars, and overly generous donations, it wasn't long before her tiny bucket was full. Now being the street smart dad that I am I had come prepared with a bag that I could use to transfer all the candy so she could continue on with her pumpkin bucket in search of more treats (ok ok, they were mostly treats for dad at this point). Up until this moment Sara had been very shy and quiet but the instant I took the bucket out of her hand she started wailing. "No! My candy! No!". (notice there was no use of the word "dad" in there that would have been useful information). Instead I was forced to smile at everybody staring at me and repeatedly state, "It's ok, I'm her father. I'm not stealing her candy. There's nothing to see here. Move along." Man, what lungs for a wee creature.

IMG_8425
Paula (and Sara) with the cake she won at her school auction.

No comments: