Friday, June 08, 2007

Wakefield tour

Trail sign and bench

Although the weatherman was threatening us with a severe thunderstorm I decided to take the gamble and head out to Wakefield, Quebec for some hiking in the Great Outdoors.

I see you deer

Previously I had only been to Wakefield 3 or 4 times to see live music performed at the Black Sheep Inn. Arriving well after sunset my trips left me with the impression that the Inn was the only thing in Wakefield. Dude was I wrong!

Wakefield is chock full of bakery stores, pubs, restaurants, patios, and various gitchy shops selling local and imported goods.

There is a covered bridge just down the road. (I still haven't checked it out, hence the lack of a photo)

Lester B. Pearson (Prime Minister and winner of a Nobel Peace Prize) is buried here.

Wakefield has it's own cemetery. (see above)

Did I mention the Wakefield Steam Train and the Wakefield Mill Inn and Spa?

Falls and mill

And while it may not be a selling feature for some, Wakefield has easy access to Gatineau Park.

Green hall trail

And throughout the area Wakefield has marked out it's very own hiking trails that bring you from one view to another and then back down to the village for a pint and a poutine. What more could you ask for?

Wakefield trail

No comments: