Thursday, March 22, 2007

snoe.down 2007



It's official, I am a moe.ron. There I said it. And being a true moe.ron I'm going to see moe. at snoe.down 2007! It's going to be awesome.

Don't get me wrong my love for the groove doesn't stop with moe. I like all kinds of music. From mainstream to small town grass roots, from jazz to jam and pop to thrash. In many ways music is my religion. In other ways it's my drug. Either way it's an addiction.

Wanna take a trip? Floyd, Steve Tibbetts, God Speed You Black Emperor. Need to vent? Speed metal or some heavy three chord riffs. Mellow out? Jambands or blues or a slice of guitar oriented jazz. Or maybe some solo guitar work from Sufjan Stevens, Iron & Wine or some Don Ross. Sundays is definitely a day for Chris Brown & Kate Fenner or Van Morrison.

Lately I'm back on the jamband wagon. You just can't beat a good 20-30 minute groove and the snoe.down fest will definitely give me that fix.

If you're looking for some good jambands to check out, here's a short list. Keep in mind that a jamband need not always sound like the Allman Brothers or the Dead. You can have psychedelic, jazz fusion, jazz funk, ambient, blues jam,... you get the idea.

The "short" list of jambands:
  • moe.
  • Umphrey's Mcgee
  • Phish
  • Trey Anastasio
  • North Mississippi Allstars
  • Steve Kimock Band
  • Garaj Mahal
  • Garage a Trois
  • The Word
  • Robert Randolph
  • Particle
  • Gov't Mule
  • Derek Trucks Band
  • Robert Walter's 20th Congress
  • Tea Leaf Green
  • My Morning Jacket
  • String Cheese Incident
  • Widespread Panic
  • Phil Lesh

The other great thing about jambands is that most of them allow and in fact encourage "taping". Taping is really just authorized bootlegging (not for resale). Bands will even set aside specific areas on the concert floor for tapers and some will actually let you patch in to the soundboard. How sweet is that?

You can download over 1100 live shows from moe. alone. Some of bands, such as Umphrey's McGee, even compile it for you into podcasts offered on their websites. An endless stream of tunes. For free.

After downloading and listening to some of these bootlegged shows it has convinced me to buy the studio CDs and DVDs and occasionally it even hooks me into making a trip down south to catch a live show.

Finally you can all catch me and moe. live via this webcam showing the arena where they'll be playing this weekend (last one on the page).
Herb Brooks Arena webcam, Lake Placid, NY
It'll kinda be like the "Where's Waldo?" game. Good luck with that.

No comments: