Tuesday, March 20, 2007

The Campaign for Real Ale

Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese (1667)

Stumbled upon an article yesterday in the Ottawa Citizen titled, "Pubs in Peril". On the front page was a little photo of the pub sign for Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese pub in London. It caught my eye because this is one of the pubs I visited when I was in London last December. I love historic pubs and this one had been on my hit list for some time. It was absolutely awesome. An authentic English pub. No music, no pool table, coal burning fireplace, and real English ale and bitters. You just can't beat the atmosphere.

Ye Olde Chesire Cheese Ye Olde Chesire Cheese

The article went on to talk about the very thing that has haunted me since even before my first visit to London, England - the closing of the historic London pubs. It nearly brings me to tears thinking of all the old (old as in as old as Canada) British watering holes converting to restaurants and gastropubs or worse yet facing the wrecking ball.

Pubs in Peril

Click here to read the article printed in the Ottawa Citizen.
(sorry about the poor photo cut and paste)

Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese (1667)

A shot of the front of the pub from Fleet Street with St. Paul's Cathedral in the background.

Anyhow, cheers and long live the English Pubs.

1 comment:

Kenmore said...

Death of the English pub?

NOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!