Sunday, January 08, 2006

First x-c ski of 2006

Today I headed up to Gatineau Park for a x-c ski with a buddy of mine. The fresh snowfall provided a perfect opportunity to test out my new x-c skis from Bushtukah. What with all the freezing rain we've had lately my outdoor activities have been somewhat curtailed (not that the recent holiday gorging helped any either). As such I was a little concerned about my ability to ski nearly 20km up and down the hills of the GAT in -18 °C weather. Hence my response when my buddy described the skiing adventure he had planned for us, "It's all good until I spit blood."

Route: P19 to a beautiful lookout just south of Lac Taylor... and back again


Well folks I am happy to say I surprised myself. I managed to ski the entire way with requiring artificial resuscitation, my skis worked great (once I got the wax right), and after a hot shower and warm meal I am ready to get right back out there again tomorrow... well at least back out to ski the nearby Greenbelt with my kids.

A panoramic view.


Still smiling at the end of the journey. Note the shiny new skis.

No comments: